Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year!
For the new year I will be changing the focus of this college admissions blog. Instead of writing a college admission tip of the week, each week an educational consultant from College Planning Services, Inc. will answer a college admission related question . So please, keep sending us your college admission questions.
Question: Can I ask your opinion on whether you think Spencer "shot high enough" with college applications? I sometimes wonder if we went to see enough schools. The guidance counselor at his high school made it sound like Boston College would be a stretch. Should we just be thrilled that it's over? Would he have gotten into some Ivy League schools? Spencer seems confident he wouldn't. I'd love your professional opinion on this. It probably sounds ridiculous, but I guess I'm hoping you tell me to be and he wouldn't have a chance at an Ivy League school.
Answer: Spencer was accepted at a wonderful college, one I am assuming since he applied early action, that he really wants to attend. Admission to college is only the beginning. Spencer, like other students, needs to be in an environment where he will be academically successful and socially happy.
In all likelihood, since both Spencer and his guidance counselor thought his list was a good one, you are probably doing Spencer a disservice by second guessing their judgement. Students, counselors and educational consultants usually have a good sense of colleges that would be a good fit , both academically and socially, whereas parents often don't. Students, counselors and educational consultants usually have accurate knowledge, which is a good basis of comparison, and parents often don't. Students usually know where they stand in their class. In my experience, if I was asked to rank those who accurately predict where students will be accepted, I would rank students, guidance counselors and educational consultants high and parents low.

No comments:

Post a Comment