Friday, March 25, 2011

The College Admissions Scoop: Parents Beware - Not All Independent Educational Consultants Work and Think Alike

By Marilyn G.S. Emerson, M.S.W.,  CEP

Recently, one of my colleagues sent me a link to a Radio Times question and answer session with Andrew Ferguson, author of Crazy U: One Dad’s Crash Course In Getting His Kid Into College.  Ferguson shared his thoughts about an independent educational consultant (IEC) he shadowed, and then seems to suggest that all IEC’s practice similarly. I was not surprised, but was definitely dismayed by Ferguson’s inferences about my profession and my colleagues.

Parents engage my services for many reasons -- to take the stress out of the home, to help them navigate higher education options in order to find the group of schools that fit their child both academically and socially, and to provide the adult support for their child that they are not able to provide because of, for example, an illness or an aging parent. They may use my services because their child learns differently and requires special support, or simply because they are naturally interested in their child’s success, or they realize that their child is one of hundreds with whom the school’s guidance counselor is working.  My clients do not hire me to get their child into a particular college or group of schools.

After meeting me, and before signing my contract, parents know that I, like many of my IEC colleagues, do not encourage parents to “professionalize” their children’s childhood.  I do not “market” students, and I do not encourage them to participate in particular activities for the primary purpose of getting into college. I, and most of my colleagues, encourage students to be themselves, to explore possibilities and to discover their real interests.  I believe that every student has strengths and I assist students in finding theirs.

Most of the families IEC's work with are not made up of "high net-worth individuals." I and most of my colleagues charge far more modest fees than those of Ferguson's consultant.  If you are interested in hiring an IEC, I strongly suggest that you and your child meet with the consultant and ask questions before signing on.  It is very important that your family, and especially your child, feel comfortable with the person you hire; otherwise the process will not work.  The Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA) provides a list of questions designed to help you ask the right questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment